15 Sep Ensure Success with This Church Event Planning Checklist
Planning events can be overwhelming, but they don’t need to be. With advance planning, any event can become a success. Starting six months prior to the event, you can follow this easy checklist to help you complete the necessary steps to ensure success!
Six Months Prior to the Event:
- Develop Your Event Theme – Is the primary object to raise funds, to build community awareness, or bring people together?
- Define Goals – What will be the measuring stick for success? Is it how much money you raise, how many participants you have, or how many people contribute to cause?
- Choose a Date & Secure a Venue – Establish a date and begin to call venues that can host during your determined dates and times.
- Create an Event Committee – Put together a group of passionate, reliable people who can execute against the event plans.
- Brainstorm Needs of Event – Meet with the event committee and make a list of all vendors and equipment needed to host the event.
- Develop a Budget – Collect estimates as you call vendors and research items that might be needed. This will help to define what the budget will be.
- Identify and Contact Speakers – Ensure their availability and see how much it may cost to retain their services.
- Create a Plan on How to Advertise the Event – Determine the best way to reach your target audience members and come up with a plan to advertise to them.
Four Months Prior to the Event:
- Create Your Event Itinerary – Define what will happen during the event and who might oversee various event tasks. Be as detailed as possible to ensure success.
- Learn More about Your Speaker – Now is a good time to gather further information about your guest speaker and determine how you will promote that in your materials.
- Execute the Marketing Plan – Develop content to be used in print, web, social and calendars to promote the event. Make sure that attendees can register if possible.
- Plan Event Logistics – Figure out how vendors will get items to the venue, prepare for signage, parking, AV, catering, etc. and have a plan to make it happen day of the event.
One Month Prior to the Event:
- Confirm Speakers – Make sure speaker travel and accommodations are finalized and prepare speaking materials if necessary.
- Remind Attendees – Send out a reminder of date and time of event.
- Follow Through on Marketing Plans – Continue to promote your event through marketing channels until the day of the event.
- Prepare Event Day Materials – Ensure that all materials that will be used at the event are lined up and promotional materials are proofread and produced.
One Week Prior to the Event:
- Confirm all Event Details – Meet with the team committee to make sure that all details have been met and there is a plan for all logistics of your event.
- Inform Volunteers – Hold a meeting with all event volunteers so they know how to execute against their roles on the day of the event. Don’t forget to thank them!
- Finalize Event Script – Ensure final script for the event has all the information needed and is polished and ready to go. Ensure agendas for the event are correct and ready for consumption.
- Finalize Registration – Review all attendees and produce name tags for the event.
The Day Prior to the Event:
- Execute Set-up – All hands-on deck is required for this step so that all committee and volunteers can make sure every aspect is ready to roll for the next day.
- Test AV – Make sure that all AV is tested and is working properly for the day of the event.
- Final Check – After setting up is complete, do one last check according to your event itinerary to ensure all items are where they need to be.
The Day of the Event:
- One Last Check – Arrive early to review one last time.
- Check in with Your Execution Team – Meet early with committee members and volunteers to review event details and ensure that everyone knows their roles.
- SMILE and ENJOY Your Event – Welcome guests and stay calm. Your event will be a success since you planned everything precisely!